American Apple Pie
- 400 g Apples
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 100 g Sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp Nutmeg
- 3 tsp Flour universal or starch
- 1 piece Egg
- 50 ml Milk
- 1. Sift the required amount of flour onto a large cutting board through a fine-mesh sieve. Put a piece of chilled butter on it and chop the ingredients with a knife into small crumbs. We transfer the resulting mixture into a deep bowl, add salt, and knead it with a table fork (or a dough knife) to smaller, tiny, loose grains.
- 2. Then, pour the pre-chilled water into a bowl. Knead the medium-density dough with your hands. At first, the mass will be loose and disintegrate, but the dough will become denser after a couple of minutes. If it turns out to be very liquid and sticky, you can add a little more flour.
- 3. Divide the finished dough into 2 parts, one larger for the shape and the second smaller for decoration. We wrap the dough pieces in plastic wrap one by one and put them in the refrigerator for 30 - 40 minutes.
- 4. Prepare the filling. We take the required amount of apples, peel them, and cut them into a medium cube. We put chopped apples on a deep plate, add sugar and cinnamon to them: nutmeg, concentrated lemon juice, and flour. Mix the ingredients so that the grains of spices lay in an even layer on the apple pieces. Cover the bowl with the filling with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until the dough is infused.
- 5. After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 392 °F (200 °C). We take out a larger piece of dough from the refrigerator and remove the film from it. We lay it on a surface previously sprinkled with a small amount of flour and roll it out with a rolling pin into a layer up to 0.3 inches thick.
- 6. Transfer the bottom pie base to a baking dish and level the dough around the entire perimeter of the container. Cut off the excess dough that hangs along the edges of the mold with a knife. And we put it in the refrigerator.
- 7. Remove the film from the second piece of dough and combine it with dough scraps. Sprinkle a little flour on the surface, place the dough on top of it, and roll it into a layer up to 0.3 inches thick. Then we cut it with a knife into separate strips up to 0.9 - 1.1 inches wide.
- 8. We take out the filling and the form with the base for the pie from the refrigerator. We shift the filling into a mold with dough and distribute it evenly around the entire perimeter of the pie.
- 9. Then, we take the dough strips and put them on the pie in the form of a lattice. We pinch the stripes and the base of the pie along the edges. We cut off the excess dough with a knife and, if desired, make any decorations out of them, for example, flowers, leaves, balls, animal figures, or whatever we like best.
- 10. Drive an egg into a small bowl, add milk to it, and beat the ingredients until smooth. This process will take no more than 1 - 2 minutes. Using a baking brush, grease the cake with the resulting mixture from all accessible sides and top.
- 11. Bake the cake for 40 - 45 minutes until cooked through.