- 0.1 Variety of types and colors of eggplant
- 0.2 How to make Eggplant Jerky (Vegan) – By step recipe
- 0.3 General rules for choosing and storing eggplants
- 0.4 Eggplant chips in a food dehydrator
- 0.5 How to use eggplant chips?
- 0.6 Southern dried eggplant casserole recipe
- 0.7 Cooking method
- 0.8 Spaghetti with dried eggplant
- 0.9 Cooking method
- 0.10 Fried dried eggplant
- 0.11 Cooking method
- 0.12 Enjoy your meal!
- 1 Dried eggplant
Variety of types and colors of eggplant
Eggplant Chips another storage method is dehydration for extended storage. The massive selection of eggplant during the season gives us ideas for preparing delicious and healthy dishes. Save eggplant in the season to enjoy your favorite recipes in cold weather for as long as possible.
All kinds of eggplants do exist in the world! Various colors: white, green, yellow, purple, and dark purple, almost black. Sizes: round, oblong. Shapes and nationalities: small and large, American, Japanese, Italian, and many others. It is grown all over the world for its edible fruit. Eggplant is a flexible veggie; however, it is not taken in raw eggplant must be cooked.
Eggplant is widely used in cuisines around the world. Vegetarians do not hide their love for eggplant chips, as well as people of a different dietary orientation. Eggplant replaces meat in vegetarian cuisine due to its texture and mass. Eggplant is low in calories because it is 90% water. However, they are rich in fiber, folic acid, and manganese. By the way, eggplant contains antioxidants.
How to make Eggplant Jerky (Vegan) – By step recipe
General rules for choosing and storing eggplants
For eggplant chips, ripe, firm specimens with intact skins are best—little secret: When choosing eggplants, look at the groove in the base. If the hole is too large and oval, you are holding a female eggplant, and if the depression is shallow and round, you are having a male eggplant. This point is of fundamental importance in culinary practice. The fact is, those female eggplant individuals contain more seeds, which is why they taste bitter. So choose “men” — they are tastier. But if there are only “women” left, take those that are smaller. There is less bitterness in small eggplants.
Culinary substitutes for eggplant can be zucchini, okra, portabello mushrooms. Yes, don’t be surprised! Besides, eggplant relatives include tomatoes, bell peppers, and potatoes.
When making eggplant chips, keep in mind that eggplant can absorb a lot of oil due to its porous structure. Eggplants are pre-soaked in saltwater. This procedure also helps to get rid of the bitterness inherent in some varieties.
Eggplants cannot be stored for long, so try to use them as soon as possible. Store eggplants in a paper bag in the refrigerator away from the freezer. Another way to store eggplants is to dehydrate them.
Eggplant chips in a food dehydrator
For eggplant chips, small ripe fruits with tiny seeds are suitable. Rinse the eggplant well under running water, cut off the tail, and peel off if desired. You can dry it with the peel if you will use such eggplants for frying or stewing. Peel off before preparing eggplant chips for making powder.
Prepared eggplants into circles with a thickness of 0.1-0.2 inches — the drying time depends on this parameter. In small cubes, these cuts are more suitable for cooking caviar or stews.
Place the circles or cubes on the wire rack of the dehydrator. Leave a distance between the eggplant pieces to improve the circulation of hot air faster and even drying.
If there is a thermostat in the dehydrator, the temperature is in the range of 130-170 F (55-75 C). You can start with a higher temperature and then dry it at a lower temperature. Use the instructions for your food dehydrator for the exact times and degrees for drying vegetables.
Swap the trays in your dehydrator while drying the eggplant for uniform dehydration of the product. Eggplants themselves are not very watery and therefore dry quickly. In one day in the dryer, they can reach the desired state. Dried eggplants are hard and brittle.
Transfer the dehydrated eggplant to a glass jar or container with a tight lid. Eggplant chips are kept cool and dry.
If you’re making a stew, you don’t need to soak the dried eggplant. If they need to be fried, then pre-soak the eggplants in water. After washing the eggplants, dry thoroughly with a towel.
How to use eggplant chips?
There are many ways to cook eggplants: stew, bake, fry, stuff, steam, grill, puree, and much more. Any method of cooking eggplant will be delicious and delicious. Eggplants are good in combination with many products: tomatoes, mushrooms, minced meat, and cheese. Eggplants can be used as a main dish and a different dish — an appetizer, sauce, and side dish.
|Ingredients for seven servings||Ingredients for the sauce||For 100 g of product|
|Rice 100 g|
Egg 1 pc
Eggplant chips 300 g
Olive oil 40 g
White onion 80 g
Bulgarian pepper 240 g
Tomatoes 400 g
Dried coriander 5 g
Garlic 20 g
Hard cheese 100 g
|Flour 60 g|
Butter 20 g
Milk 1.5 cups
Nutmeg to taste
Salt to taste
|Caloric value 143 kcal
Protein 4 g
Fat 6 g
- Pour rice into a bowl, fill with cold water. We wash it thoroughly, drain the water. Then put the washed rice into a saucepan, fill it with water (200 ml) and send it to the fire. Salt to taste. Boil rice until tender. The rice should be crumbly. Break the chicken egg into the finished rice, mix.
- Soak eggplant in water. To do this, put the eggplants in a bowl, fill them with boiling water, cover them with a lid, and leave for 20 minutes. Then we drain the water, fry the eggplants in vegetable oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Peel the onions cut them into cubes. Wash the tomatoes under running water, chop finely. We clean the bell peppers from seeds, wash them, dry them with paper towels. Cut the pepper into small cubes. We spread the prepared vegetables for the eggplant, continue to fry.
- Add coriander to the vegetables, pour 150-200 ml of water, simmer until the liquid evaporates completely. Peel the garlic, pass it through a press. We spread the garlic gruel in a vegetable mix, salt to taste, mix.
- Let’s prepare the sauce. Fry the flour in a dry frying pan until light golden brown. Then pour milk and add a piece of softened butter, stir with a whisk until smooth. Keep on fire until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Now remove from heat, add a pinch of ground nutmeg and salt to taste.
- Put the rice in a baking dish, tamp it. Then we lay out the stewed vegetables, we also tamp. Fill with prepared white sauce. Grate the cheese, sprinkle the surface of the casserole.
- We send the form to the oven preheated to 464 F (240 C), bake for 10 minutes. It is good to cook a casserole in a split form for cakes. The rim can be removed at the end and your dish on a beautifully shaped table.
Spaghetti with dried eggplant
|Ingredients for three servings||For 100 g of product|
|Spaghetti 350 g|
Tomato sauce 150 g
Eggplant chips 60g
Red onion 80 g
Olive oil 20 g
Pine nuts 50 g
Fresh basil 5 g
|Caloric value 227 kcal
Protein 8 g
Fat 8 g
Carbohydrates 42 g
- The first step is to soak the dried eggplant. To do this, put it in a bowl and fill it with warm water. We leave for 4 hours. If you need to shorten this process, boil the eggplants in salted boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Pour water into a saucepan, send it to the fire. As soon as it boils, add salt and spread the spaghetti. You don’t need to feel sorry for water, and all pasta I to d in a large amount of water. For the specified amount of spaghetti, you should take 2-2.5 liters.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package. Quality durum spaghetti usually takes longer to cook.
- In the meantime, peel and chop the onion. Wash basil under running water, then chops finely.
- Pour olive oil into a frying pan, send it to the fire. As soon as the oil warms up, put the onion in it, fry until soft.
- Drain the water from the eggplant. We spread the eggplant to the onion. We were cooking for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomato sauce to the pan. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Then put pine nuts and basil in the sauce, mix.
- We put the spaghetti in a colander, quickly putting it under a cold water stream to stop the cooking process.
- We lay out the spaghetti in portions, pour over the sauce and serve.
Fried dried eggplant
|Ingredients for four servings||Per 100 g of product|
|Eggplant chips 100 g|
White onion one pc.
Sweet pepper one pc.
Tomatoes 2 pcs.
Garlic 20 g
Soy sauce 20 ml
Dry pepper mixture 10 g
Fresh herbs 0.5 g
Olive oil 100 ml
|Caloric content 188 kcal
Protein 2 g
Fat 15 g
Carbohydrates 9 g
- The eggplant slices should be 2 inches. Soak the eggplant in salted water for 2 hours. Take them out and wring them out.
- Finely chop the vegetables and chop the fresh herbs.
- We put a saucepan or frying pan with butter on the fire. First, prepare the onion and sweet peppers will take 2 minutes. Add the eggplant and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Don’t forget to stir. Add the tomato and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the stove and add the rest of the garlic. Cover again and wait 10 minutes. The dried eggplant platter is ready.
Enjoy your meal!
- Food Dehydrator
- 1 kg Eggplant With peel
- 1 kg Eggplant Without peel
- Rinse the eggplant well under running water, cut off the tail, and peel off if desired. You can dry it with the peel if you will use such eggplants for frying or stewing. Peel off before preparing eggplant chips for making powder.
- Prepared eggplants into circles with a thickness of 0.1-0.2 inches — the drying time depends on this parameter. In small cubes, these cuts are more suitable for cooking sauce or stews.
- Place the circles or cubes on the wire rack of the dehydrator. Leave a distance between the eggplant pieces to improve the circulation of hot air faster and even drying.
- If there is a thermostat, the temperature is in the range of 130-170 °F (55-75 °C). You can start with a higher temperature and then dry it at a lower temperature. Use the instructions for your food dehydrator for the exact times and degrees for drying vegetables. Estimated dehydration time is about 6-8 hours.
- After the dried pieces of eggplant have cooled, they should be transferred to a linen bag, in a glass container, or a plastic bag closed with a special lock. Store dried eggplant in a dark, dry place.
- The best way to cut eggplant for chips is to use a mandolin slicer for vegetables.
- If you are dehydrating vegetables in a vertical dehydrator, remember to move the trays in places to dry the vegetables evenly.
- If you are preparing a dried eggplant stew, you do not need to soak the eggplant. They need to be fried. Then drying is pre-soaked in water. Can add dried eggplants to pilaf, where it is difficult to distinguish them from meat. Bon Appétit!
Stir-fry Dried Eggplant