- 0.1 Pink pickled eggs – a real bar snack
- 0.2 Everything you need to know about pink pickled eggs
- 0.3 Ways to boil eggs
- 0.4 Storing pickled eggs
- 0.5 Interesting ideas for making egg marinades
- 0.6 Marbled pickled eggs in Chinese with tea
- 0.7 Pink Pickled Eggs Recipe
- 1 Pink pickled eggs - Marinated Eggs with Beets
Pink pickled eggs – a real bar snack
For many Americans, having a jar of pink pickled eggs and spicy eggs on the bar is a sign that you are genuinely at the bar. But, if you dig deeper, the tradition of this snack goes far, far away in the history of Western Europe and is not always associated with drinking establishments. Remove offers to cook pickled eggs according to one of the traditional recipes.
Who and when came up with the idea of pickling chicken eggs is not known for specific. However, it is clear that this appetizer arose out of necessity – a fresh egg has its own shelf life. When stored products only in cellars, it was impossible to taste such a delicacy in winter. Presumably, it first practiced pickling eggs in saline and vinegar in Western Europe in the 1700s. Usually, this invention is attributed to the British, but everything indicates that the first was the Germans.
In the mid-1800s, pickled eggs were a staple snack in German bars in North America (the so-called Pennsylvania Germans). The Germans migrated to the United States, who was the first to notice the fantastic marinated egg-lager combination. As is often the case, Americans saw this as a financial benefit – a free boiled egg snack was sobering and encouraged the visitor to order another glass. So pink pickled eggs and spicy eggs have taken root in many drinking establishments to this day. As it turned out, not only there. In many families, eggs are pickled for any occasion as a delicious and original appetizer for a light snack.
Everything you need to know about pink pickled eggs
Hard-boiled eggs are peeled and left for a while in a marinade consisting mainly of vinegar, salt, and all kinds of spices. The marinade is usually boiled and boiled over low heat for 5-10 minutes, and then boiled eggs are poured over it while still hot. Egg white tends to be more tender when using boiling marinade instead of a room temperature solution. Small to medium-sized chicken eggs are best, as they become soaked much faster in the marinade. To obtain pink pickled eggs, beets are added to the marinade. Fresh eggs are a priority.
Ways to boil eggs
There are many ways to cook eggs. How many housewives, so many opinions. The easiest way is to place the eggs in cold water, bring them to a boil, and cook for 3 to 10 minutes. Depending on how you want to cook them: soft-boiled, in a bag, or hard-boiled. For pickling, hard-boiled eggs are best boiled for 10 minutes (homemade up to 13 minutes). And for the eggs to be cleaned well, they must be immediately placed in cold water after cooking, preferably with ice. It is known that fresh eggs are less cleaned, so it is better to leave them alone for 4-5 days after packing and only then try to cook.
There is also a more sophisticated method of boiling very fresh eggs. To do this, make a tiny hole at the “blunt” end of the egg, place the eggs in a small saucepan and fill them with cold water so that it covers them by 2-2.5 cm. Cover the pan with a lid. Bring water to a boil quickly over high heat, then remove the pan from heat and, without removing the top, leave the eggs in boiling water for 15-18 minutes (15 minutes for small eggs, 18 for large ones). Next, the eggs need to be quickly placed in ice water for a minute and then returned to boiling water for 10 seconds! As a result, the shell will crack by itself, and a fresh egg is easy to clean from the “blunt” end.
Storing pickled eggs
Be very careful about storing pink pickled eggs and spicy eggs. First of all, they should always be kept in the refrigerator. Storage at room temperature increases the risk of botulinum toxin formation in the snack, which leads to severe poisoning of the body! After placing the eggs in the marinade, they need at least two days to absorb the taste of the marinade, but this is usually very little. Serve small and medium eggs after 1-2 weeks of pickling, large ones after 2-4 weeks. Pickled eggs are stored in the refrigerator for a very long time, but it is better to use them within 3-4 months.
Interesting ideas for making egg marinades
Spicy pickled eggs: Use ¼ teaspoons each as a pickling spice. Spices: mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cloves, turmeric, and 1-star anise make spicy pickled eggs a beautiful golden color.
Pickled eggs with pepper: add to the pickled eggs 2-3 hot peppers (chili, habanero, jalapeno), 1/4 onion, and 3 tsp—paprika flakes for color.
Pickled eggs in apple juice: instead of water, take 375 ml of apple juice and 125 ml of white vinegar (better than apple cider). Add six thin onion rings and a garlic clove.
Marbled pickled eggs in Chinese with tea
This gourmet snack is also often referred to as tea eggs. Marble eggs are called because of the pattern resembling a marble cobweb that appears on the surface of a peeled egg cooked according to that recipe. Traditionally, this appetizer is served cold with a hefty portion of Sichuan pepper. Marbled pickled eggs are classics of Chinese street food.
- 1 tsp black Chinese tea or two tea bags
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1-1.5 tsp Chinese five spices (1 tablespoon powder)
- ½ tsp sea salt (or iodized)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- water on demand
- Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water, about 4 cm above them. Bring the water to a boil and then simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place them in cold water. Gently beat the shells of each egg with a teaspoon so that it cracks well. After that, should place the eggs in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Return the eggs to the pot, add about 1 liter of cold water, and put on fire. While the water is boiling, mix well the tea and the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl. Add the resulting mixture to boiling water with eggs.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and, without removing the eggs, let the marinade cool to room temperature, then put the pan in the refrigerator overnight.
Chinese 5 spices, or five-spice powder: star anise, Sichuan pepper, fennel seeds, cloves, and cinnamon in different proportions to taste; all spices must be ground in a coffee grinder or pounded in a mortar, and then stored in a dark container.
Before serving pickled eggs in Chinese, they should be peeled off, under which a beautiful marble cobweb forms.
Pink Pickled Eggs Recipe
Add one peeled, coarsely chopped beet and a couple of dills sprig to the marinade to make beautiful pink pickled eggs.
Pink pickled eggs - Marinated Eggs with Beets
- 10-12 pcs chicken eggs
- 250 ml white vinegar
- 1 pc beets
- 250 ml water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp spices for the marinade
- 1 tsp salt
- Hard boil the eggs, chill, and peel. Place in a sterile liter jar and start preparing the marinade.
- For the marinade, mix the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and marinade spices in a small saucepan. In a saucepan, clean the beets and three on a coarse grater. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves, then cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the finished marinade through a sieve or cheesecloth (if desired, but more often it is not recommended to do this), and then, while still hot, pour the boiled and peeled eggs in a jar. Close the jar tightly with a sterile lid and let it cool before sending it to the refrigerator for holding.
- Before serving, s should marinate eggs for at least two days, but it is better to increase this period to 2-3 weeks to be thoroughly saturated with the aroma and flavors of the marinade. Serve with salt, pepper, chips, croutons, and an excellent cold light beer.