Pickled old-fashioned beets
- 3 kg beets about 24 small
- 2 cups organic sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 ½ cup vinegar
- 1 ½ cup boiled beet water
- After the beets are cooked, peel them, cut them into slices and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients except the beets in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Pack the beets in hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch free space. Pour hot liquid over the beets, leaving 1/4 inch of clear space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust the two-piece caps.
- Autoclave the jars with boiling water for 30 minutes.